Review Your Documents
Prior to bringing a document into the Recorder’s Office, take a moment to review a document to assure it meets regulatory requirements and guidelines. Also, if you aren’t certain about additional regulations regarding the document please call.
Here are a few things to check prior to bringing a document to the Recorder’s office:
- Anywhere there is a signature on the document there needs to be a corresponding printed or typed name (ORC 317.11).
- There must be a “Prepared by” statement on the document (ORC 317.11).
- Be certain that appropriate notary seals are included.
- Documents must be legible and allow for reproduction or scanning that provides a legible copy (ORC 317.12).
- Entire document must be in English, or be a certified English translation (ORC 317.113).
- All conveyances must have the auditor’s stamp prior to recording (ORC 317.22). The conveyance requirements are in ORC 319.202 or you may call the auditor’s office 419-636-5639.
- Documents must have an appropriate legal description. Some documents require legal descriptions to be approved by the engineer’s office 419-636-2454 prior to recording.
- Properly reference previously recorded documents when necessary for marginal notations. There is an additional fee for marginal notations.
- Page Format Requirements (ORC 317.114)
- Black or blue ink only.
- Documents must be legible print size, font no smaller than 10 point.
- Each additional page must have a one and a half inch (1 to 1/2 inch) top margin.
- Every page must have a bottom margin of one inch (1 inch).
- Every page must have side margins of one inch (1 inch).
- First page must have a three inch (3 inch) top margin.
- Maximum paper size is eight and one half inches by fourteen inches (8 1/2 by 14).
- Minimum paper size is eight and one half inches by eleven inches (8 1/2 by 11).
- No highlighting anywhere in the document.
- Make certain that you have included the appropriate fee. Any page with writing is charged as a separate page.
- Include a self addressed stamped envelope for return of the document.
- If you include a toll free number the Recorder’s office may call when there is an easily resolved issue.